Health Tip: Protect Your Hips From Arthritis Damage0
Osteoarthritis can strike the hip following years of wear and tear that causes damage to the joint. Protecting the hips from further stress can help reduce damage.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons lists these suggestions to help slow the progression of hip arthritis:
- Allow your hips to rest, and don’t overuse the joints.
- Practice a physical-therapy regimen that includes gentle exercises such asswimming, cycling and water aerobics to maintain joint function and motion.
- Try taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Make sure you get plenty of sleep every night.
- If you are overweight, lose weight.
- Consider using a cane to ease strain on the joint if your arthritis worsens.
– Diana Kohnle